Marine Officer (Pilot)
Marine Officer (Pilot)
Full time, Permanent contract
Location - Barry
Competitive Salary + Excellent benefits
ABP is the UK's leading port operator, with a unique network of 21 ports across England, Scotland and Wales. Our ports include Immingham, the UK's busiest port and Southampton, the UK's leading export port and number one for cars and cruise. The group's other activities include ship's agency, dredging (UK Dredging Ltd), and marine consultancy (ABPmer). Each port also offers a well-established community of port service providers.
In 2015 ABP and its customers handled 92 million tonnes of cargo. Together with our customers, we support 84,000 jobs and contribute GBP5.6 billion to the UK economy every year.
ABP's presence in South Wales consists of five ports, covering an area of 3,800 acres and contributing GBP1.4 billion to the UK economy. Heavy industry has a major influence on the cargoes handled at the South Wales Ports, but there is also an increasing range of other cargoes, including forest products, recyclables, agribulk products and bulk liquids.
The South Wales Ports are also involved in a significant number of renewable energy schemes and is now home to over 10MW of renewable energy projects.
The Marine Officer (Pilot) will conduct vessels under compulsory Pilotage within the ABP South Wales reginal ports and River Usk Competent Harbour Authority areas (and Non Compulsory Pilotage vessels if requested). To make available to a Master, pertinent information based upon a comprehensive knowledge of the pilotage area complemented by ship handling skills.
- Conduct of vessels and provide information on regulatory requirements to the Master as necessary, including applicable safety and environmental provisions
- Maintain a comprehensive and up to date knowledge of all navigational matters within the pilotage area.
- Maintain a comprehensive knowledge of the SHA / CHA Marine Safety management system and associated procedures and plans
- Support vessel Masters in communicating with the ports and other vessels
- Maintain regular contact with the LPS and report deficiencies in a vessel's equipment or conduct as appropriate
- Maintain a high level of competency in ship handling
- Perform suitable bridge team duties in relation to statutory obligations
- Record and submit passage plan / pilotage vouchers / MPX Records for each Pilotage assignment
- Prepare and submit incident / accident reports as appropriate
- Provide appropriate assistance in the event of an emergency
- Assist in the training of others as appropriate
- Provide professional maritime advice to appropriate personnel on local navigational and other port issues when required
Skills and Experience
- Relevant and suitable marine qualification.
- Excellent communicative and leadership skills
- Working knowledge of Port Marine Safety Code (PMSC), all relevant marine, harbour, H&S and environment legislation and its relevance to pilotage operations
- Ability to balance the demands of stakeholders with regards to safety and commercial awareness
- Flexible approach to service delivery and working hours, including a willingness to travel as required on ABP South Wales business
- Experience and knowledge of developing and maintaining Marine Safety systems and procedures
- Computer literacy skills
- Proven record of operational management in a marine environment
- If an existing Pilot, we will consider supporting you to maintain authorisation as a South Wales Pilot
When joining ABP you will find an environment that is both welcoming and challenging. We reward our employees well and offer a generous remuneration package, employer pension, private health insurance and a range of other benefits.
Please note that ABP undertake random screening for substance abuse and operate a zero tolerance policy. A medical will be required before starting this position also.
We are an equal opportunities employer and we welcome applications from all suitably qualified persons regardless of their background, which helps us to provide a diverse and inclusive working environment.
For more information and to apply please click the apply button below.