Pilot Launch Coxswain
Pilot Launch Coxswain
Full time, Permanent contract
Location - Barry, South Wales
Competitive Salary + Excellent Benefits
ABP is the UK's leading port operator, with a unique network of 21 ports across England, Scotland and Wales. Our ports include Immingham, the UK's busiest port and Southampton, the UK's leading export port and number one for cars and cruise. The group's other activities include rail terminal operations (Hams Hall Rail Terminal), ship's agency, dredging (UK Dredging Ltd), and marine consultancy (ABPmer). Each port also offers a well-established community of port service providers.
In 2015 ABP and its customers handled 92 million tonnes of cargo. Together with our customers, we support 84,000 jobs and contribute £5.6 billion to the UK economy every year.
ABP's presence in South Wales consists of five ports, covering an area of 3,800 acres and contributing £1.4 billion to the UK economy. Heavy industry has a major influence on the cargoes handled at the South Wales Ports, but there is also an increasing range of other cargoes, including forest products, recyclables, agribulk products and bulk liquids.
The South Wales Ports are also involved in a significant number of renewable energy schemes and is now home to over 10MW of renewable energy projects.
Reporting to the Operational Maintenance Supervisor the purpose of the role is to take command of a Pilot launch whilst ensuring you meet the statutory duties of the Harbour Authority.
- Exercise command of a pilot launch to ensure that it is, in all respects, ready for service and provide for the safety of the launch, its passengers and crew.
- Convey pilots and other authorized persons as requested by LPS and provide for the safe transfer of pilots and others to/from vessels as directed.
- Maintain VHF watch on all appropriate channels.
- Ensure launches are maintained in a clean condition with in-date and functional equipment and lifesaving appliances, attending to routine and minor maintenance as necessary.
- Ensure that any defects to the launches or their equipment are recorded and reported to the Operational Maintenance Supervisor.
- Monitor compliance with ABP South Wales marine rules and regulations and report contraventions as appropriate.
- Monitor aids to navigation in the area of operation and report deficiencies to LPS.
- Investigate pollution reports within the appropriate area and take samples, statements and evidence as directed.
- Ensure the launch crew undertakes all duties in a safe and efficient manner in accordance with the requirements of the Statutory Harbour Authority.
- Any other duties as directed by the Operational Maintenance Supervisor.
Skills and Experience
- Boat handling of Small High Speed vessels will be second nature/
- Computer literate including Word & Excel Outlook to effectively handle company systems.
- Able to communicate via VHF radio to provide concise instruction to vessels arriving or departing.
- Able to effectively manage a small team of staff on-board the Pilot Launch.
- Full UK driving licence.
- Working knowledge Marine Safety / Quality Management systems and procedures.
- Experience of operating Pilot Vessels or high speed vessels under 24mtrs LOA.
When joining ABP you will find an environment that is both welcoming and challenging. We reward our employees well and offer a generous remuneration package, employer pension, private health insurance and a range of other benefits.
Please note that ABP undertake random screening for substance abuse and operate a zero tolerance policy. A medical will be required before starting this position also.
We are an equal opportunities employer and we welcome applications from all suitably qualified persons regardless of their background, which helps us to provide a diverse and inclusive working environment.