Drawing, Calibration & Measurement Technician
Thermo Fisher Scientific Inc. (NYSE: TMO) is the world leader in serving science. Our mission is to enable our customers to make the world healthier, cleaner and safer. With revenues of more than $12 billion, we have approximately 39,000 employees and serve customers within pharmaceutical and biotech companies, hospitals and clinical diagnostic labs, universities, research institutions and government agencies, as well as in environmental and process control industries. We create value for our key stakeholders through three premier brands, Thermo Scientific, Fisher Scientific and Unity Lab Services, which offer a unique combination of continuous technology development and the most convenient purchasing options. Our products and services help accelerate the pace of scientific discovery, and solve analytical challenges ranging from complex research to routine testing to field applications.
This is a critical role within the Engineering Department responsible for ensuring that products conform to the specifications detailed within the quality system and ensuring all product drawings are managed and controlled, this will include first-offs, new products, trials runs and competitors product.
Responsibility for the control and management of the calibration process ensuring that all gauges, balances, test equipment etc are correctly calibrated when used and that every piece of equipment is correctly labeled to ensure that the user can be confident that it is fit for use.
To support manufacturing in the validation of processes and products across all departments and projects
Embrace and live the Company's 4-I values (Intensity, Integrity, Innovation & Involvement)
- To ensure all product drawings are accurate and up to date
- Manage a controlled drawing system, so that all drawings are clearly identified and easily retrievable.
- To ensure any drawing changes are controlled through the company change control process.
- To maintain and control the calibration process ensuring that all calibrated equipment is correctly identified, labeled and fit for use.
- To ensure the periodic maintenance of the calibration logs are up to date.
- To manage and control all MRO stores activities and liaise with external providers
- To undertake product evaluation work as directed including dimensional checks, performance tests completing paperwork in an appropriate and timely manner.
- To support project development as required
- To support process validation as required
- To communicate and negotiate with external calibration subcontractors
- To comply with the Health and Safety policies of the company
- The jobholder will be expected to carry out any other duties that are required to achieve the overall purpose of the job, and to comply with the terms and conditions of employment operating throughout the Company.
Essential: Minimum of 5 GCSE grade A-C
Engineering background - BTEC level 3 in engineering principles
Knowledge and proven experience in CAD drawing systems - preferably AutoCAD
Knowledge and proven experience of calibration systems
Experience using non contact measuring equipment
Good IT skills and knowledge Word and Excel
Good numeric and written skills
Ability to work unsupervised and manage own time and work load
Confidence to manage third party sub-contractors
Desirable: Plastics Industry experience
Packaging development experience
This person must possess the following behavioral competencies and characteristics. Please note that these are regarded by Thermo Fisher Scientific as equally important to technical competencies and experiences. Someone who displays the right attitude and characteristics for the role will therefore be considered even if they lack technical expertise in one or two of the areas mentioned previously.
- A strongly pro-active, helpful, ‘can-do' attitude;
- A creative, resourceful and tenacious problem-solver and solution-finder;
- Enjoys dealing with people and is able to communicate effectively and concisely at all levels;
- Self-managing and self-motivating, able to prioritise tasks effectively and meet customer deadlines and expectations;
- A clear enthusiasm for the role and strong desire to continuously develop and improve own performance and departmental performance;
- Willingness to put in extra effort (and hours when required) to get the job done properly;
- Willingness to share technical knowledge with others;
- Enjoys contributing to the overall success of the company, not just one department, and has commercial awareness of how the department fits in and adds value to the ‘whole picture'.