Lead Manufacturing Operator
About Thermo Fisher Scientific
Thermo Fisher Scientific Inc. (NYSE: TMO) is the world leader in serving science. Our mission is to enable our customers to make the world healthier, cleaner and safer. With revenues of more than $17 billion, we have approximately 50,000 employees and serve customers within pharmaceutical and biotech companies, hospitals and clinical diagnostic labs, universities, research institutions and government agencies, as well as in environmental and process control industries. We create value for our key stakeholders through four premier brands, Thermo Scientific, Life Technologies, Fisher Scientific and Unity Lab Services, which offer a unique combination of continuous technology development and the most convenient purchasing options. Our products and services help accelerate the pace of scientific discovery, and solve analytical challenges ranging from complex research to routine testing to field applications.
Lead Manufacturing Operator
Dotted Line Into:
Laboratory Product Group (LPG)
Laboratory Consumables Division (LCD)
Number of Direct Reports:
Day/Shift (if applicable):
Continental &/or Weekly Rotating
FLSA Status (Exempt/Non-Exempt):
Eligible for Overtime
Deputise for Area Leader and Quality Co-ordinator as required.
Lead production by giving guidance whether working in a fixed operator type position or in formal leader mode.
Responsible for ensuring a safe organised workplace, high quality output, meeting the plan needs at optimal cost.
Responsible for leading, making decisions, elevating issues to ensure compliance to company expectation on Safety, Quality, Cost, Plan adherence and People management.
Lead production team with flexible team approach. Motivate through feedback, recognition and leading by example
Embrace and live the Company's 4-I values (Intensity, Integrity, Innovation & Involvement)
- Demonstrate role model leadership, ensuring accountability and good performance management for all in the team.
- Take full accountability for accuracy of documentation required within the production department.
- Work closely with engineering to resolve process issues as and when they arise.
- Responsibility for line set up, 1st off and quality maintained through the batch.
- Lead and manage labour resources as required to deliver production plan execution to meet plant KPI at optimal cost. Cover production as required i.e. operate machinery package and inspect products.
- Lead and motivate your team to achieve outstanding performance in all disciplines including Quality, GMP, H & S, 5s and PPI/LEAN
- Train and develop your team to achieve full training schedule. This will include all SOP's, quality system requirements, documentation, H&S, GMP and 5s.
- Cover production as required i.e. operate machinery package and inspect products.
- Support Shift Technical Engineering Team.
- Deputise for Area Leader when required
- Support and deputise for Quality Co-ordinator when required
- Ensure that wastage of material is kept to a minimum. Challenge and reduce wastage through problem solving.
- Visually and physically check all products to conform to product specifications and document where appropriate. Ensure operating team make checks in line with quality expectation.
- During inspection, detect any product defects which occur on a consecutive basis, elevate when needed ensuring corrective action is taken.
- Work in any unit, if required, to maintain company business.
- Operate processing equipment as required.
- Collect and supply product samples for quality assurance where necessary carry out any cleaning procedures and maintain housekeeping standards.
- Support the development of “PPI/Lean Manufacturing” within the department.
- As a leader, manage and support 5S in the workplace ensuring team and operator compliance to maintain the highest levels of hygiene and housekeeping.
- As a leader, ensure workplace and team adherence with the required technical, quality standards, practice and specifications in line with the Company's ISO 9001 quality systems.
- As a leader, ensure team and operator compliance in accordance with Company's Policies on Health and Safety.
- As a leader, ensure compliance with all Company rules, regulations, 4I Values applicable laws.
- Carry out any reasonable requests that are required to achieve the overall purpose of the job and to comply with the terms and conditions of employment operating throughout the Company. This may mean undertaking projects or additional tasks within the job holder's capability when required.
- As required
- Good standard of education
- Maintain a good level of communication at all levels
- Represent your department in meetings as required
- Ability to learn, understand and carry out instructions.
Non-Negotiable Hiring Criteria:
- Problem solving ability
- Good attention to detail
- Good communicator
- Work on own initiative and as part of a team
- Good numeric and literacy skills
- Previous experience in similar environment
- ‘Can do' attitude
The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed by employees assigned to this classification. They are not to be construed as an exhaustive list of all employee responsibilities, duties and / or skills required of all personnel so classified.