Cyden is a British health and beauty company and the leading developer of intense pulsed light (IPL)devices for home-based hair removal. Based in Swansea, South Wales, Cyden has around 30 employees; primarily comprised of Product Development, Sales & Marketing, Research & Clinical, Finance and Operations staff. Product manufacture is outsourced while product development, finance, research, clinical, and all other corporate functions are managed by the senior team at the office in Swansea.
The Company has achieved significant growth which has demonstrated the need for a highly experienced and self-motivated Operations Director to join the business.
Strategic and tactical responsibility for implementing manufacturing assembly of a medical device. Set the strategy and strategic operational goals to exceed customer expectations for product quality, cost and delivery, maximising efficiency, optimising production levels and driving operational excellence. Provide clear leadership and vision, inspire and motivate staff to achieve excellence and mentor them as they develop new skills. Drive Key Performance Indicators across all areas of the Operations function to ensure that all projects are delivered on cost and on time to the highest quality standards. Direct and drive implementation of Lean Business strategy and drive Continuous Improvement across all related areas of the business.
Strategy and Development:
- Bring Product Assembly and 'Pick and Pack' in house Create and implement best practice manufacturing vision, strategy, policies, processes and procedures to aid and improve business performance Ensure that strategies and processes are in place to meet business objectives and operational needs in terms of price, quality and delivery targets and which enables the company to function and compete effectively in the market Ensure a flexible, low cost supply chain Evaluate the challenges faced by the business and take action to mitigate risks and develop opportunities Contribute to overall business strategy and annual budget process Initiate and develop creative and innovative manufacturing processes
General and Task Management:
- Manage core customer relationships and implement a customer focused operational culture delivering world class customer service levels Coordinate team activities to optimise cost performance of the plant through capital investment programmes, optimising operating working capital usage and minimising waste through the development of a continuous improvement culture encompassing lean principles and clear strategic development Develop and manage master production schedule and operations budgets for products to directly support and ensure that the product is delivered to agreed cost, quality and timelines Drive improvements in reliability for key aspects of machinery by completing reliability studies and identifying best planned maintenance strategy Provide design for manufacturing input at early stages in the new product development process. Ensure that Environmental, Health and Safety, manufacturing and quality standards and procedures are adhered to a medical device standard
- People Management:
- Set up a new manufacturing assembly department and monitor ongoing progress and performance Provide leadership to departments under control and coach, mentor and develop direct reports and manage a high performing team that delivers continuous improvement, added value and cost reductions Ensure strong communication between teams under leadership to facilitate exchange of information and in order to implement change and improvements Responsible for developing the appropriate organisational structure, resource plans and culture to support the business objectives Provide leadership, coordination and coaching to the team, ensuring they are trained enabling them to achieve the operational and financial metrics within their areas of responsibility and succeed in their roles
Financial and Budget Management:
- Input and hold responsibility for operational budgets Prepare the annual Manufacturing budget and forecasts and all Capital Expenditure proposals as well as ensuring compliance with legal standards. Manage the budget from identification to completion of projects
Skills and Attributes:
- Proven leadership and management skills with the ability to optimise team performance and development Excellent relationship management skills with the ability to engage, negotiate and manage key stakeholders and suppliers Strong IT skills with experience of manufacturing systems implementation Excellent communication, interpersonal and influencing skills Excellent analytical and problem solving abilities Results orientated with ability to plan and deliver against project deadlines Commercially and financially astute with experience of managing budgets Resilient, self motivated and able to work well under pressure
Qualifications and Experience Levels:
- Educated to degree level in a relevant engineering /manufacturing discipline or equivalent NVQ Level 7 qualification. Over 10 years experience within a product manufacturing environment in a senior operational position Proficient in Sage 200 Manufacturing - preferably to a system design and implementation level